You SHOULD NOT drive while tired or fatigued. Research has shown that tiredness in drivers is a major road safety risk, both to themselves and others.
You can experience micro-sleeps if you are tired and fighting sleep.
These episodes can last up to 10 seconds and can be experienced even when your eyes are open.
During a micro-sleep of even 4 seconds, your vehicle can travel 100 metres (longer than a football pitch) without you being in control of your vehicle.
- Never Drive if you are fighting sleep.
- Prepare yourself for driving by ensuring you get adequate sleep.
- If you are on any medication, check if it causes drowsiness.
- Prepare your journey properly, and plan where you can take a safe break from driving.
- Stop, have a drink and take a nap for a maximum of 20 minutes.
- After the nap, if it is safe to do so, get some fresh air and stretch your legs.
- You are suffering from a serious lack of sleep the only cure is sleep!Article Source: New Driver NI
Our personal injury claim experts can help you too.
If you’ve sustained a personal injury in Northern Ireland and have suffered a loss or injury as a result, you might be entitled to claim personal injury compensation.
JMK Solicitors are Northern Ireland’s Number 1 Personal Injury Specialists. With a team of over 100 people including a team of personal injury solicitors, we assist clients all over Northern Ireland. If you have suffered a personal injury, been in a road traffic accident, had an accident at work or suffered a medical accident, contact our team for a free consultation.